This is less “how to fix” than “how to avoid,” but these short simple lessons can make a lot of difference in the kitchen!
When you read this list of topics, think to yourself: DON’T DO THIS!
- Boiling pasta in a pot that’s too small.
- Using the wrong knife when preparing ingredients
- Using a tiny cutting board
- Storing tomatoes in the refrigerator
- Putting good knives in the dishwasher
- Overcrowding the pan.
- Choosing lean ground beef.
- Overmixing doughs and batters.
- Cooking with a cold pan and cold oil or butter.
- Searing meat over too-low heat.
- Adding garlic too early.
- Tossing cooked pasta with oil to prevent sticking.
- Using a nonstick pan for everything.
- Turning meat too often or too soon.
- Baking with cold eggs and dairy products.
- Slicing meat immediately after it’s cooked.
- Measuring dry ingredients in a liquid measuring cup.
How to Fix 17 Basic Cooking Mistakes | RealSimple.com.
2 cups enriched rice
4 cups chicken stock
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cups diced white onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 pound pork sausage meat
1/4 pound ground beef
1/2 pound chicken giblets
1 bunch green onions, chopped
In colander, rinse rice several times until water runs clear. Place rice in pot and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not overcook.
Saute garlic, onions and bell peppers in vegetable oil until soft for about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and cayenne and add to rice. Cook sausage and ground beef together in sautepan and add to rice.
In separate pot place giblets, cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes with green onions, salt and pepper. Let cool enough to chop into small dice then add to rice mixture. Mix rice well and let simmer on lowest heat for an additional 30 minutes, stirring continuously, until flavors meld.
Dirty Rice Recipe : Food Network.